The Summer Garden occupies an island between the Fontanka, Moika, and the Swan Canal.
The construction was started by master Ivan Matveevich Ugryumov under the control of Peter the Great in 1704. The Tzar drew himself. He planned to create a regular – architectural park with a clear layout and straight avenues, neatly trimmed trees and shrubs. Planted all year round. Famous architects and gardeners took part in the creation of the park. The park was supposed to be a resting place.
The northern part, adjacent to the palace of Peter wore the name of the First Summer Garden. Here, under the project of D. Trezzini, a small Palace of Peter the Great was built, which has survived to the present day.The southern part, from the canal to the Moika – Second, and the part to the south of the river – the third Summer Garden (modern Mikhailovsky Garden and the area around the Mikhailovsky Castle).
In the garden at 4 sites were arranged fountains, these were the first fountains in Russia.Peter the Great brought sculptures for the Summer Garden from Italy and valued them very much. In the XVIII century, there were more than two hundred sculptures. Now the Summer Garden is decorated with 90 sculptures.